For Immediate Release:
March 7, 2023
FACT CHECK: Floridians Face Skyrocketing Housing Costs Under DeSantis
Instead of working to address the housing crisis in Florida and mitigate skyrocketing rent and mortgage costs, Ron DeSantis has used his governorship to line the pockets of wealthy developers at the expense of Florida homeowners.
HERE ARE THE FACTS:
- Under DeSantis, Floridians saw the highest year-over-year increase in median rent in the nation.
- During DeSantis’s first term, the median sales price for a single-family home in Florida rose by 65 percent.
- In 2022, Florida had the highest rate of cost-burdened renters out of any state in the country. Half of all Florida residents were spending more than 30% of their monthly income on rent.
- Despite Florida’s housing crisis, DeSantis moved nearly $450 million away from the state’s housing trust fund for other purposes.
- Additionally, DeSantis signed a $2 billion taxpayer-funded bailout for property insurance companies that did not guarantee any amount of relief to homeowners.