Fighting for Responsible, Responsive Government
Our Democracy, as well as individual freedoms and opportunities, depend upon free and equitable access to voting for all citizens.
- Restoration of full representation for all Lee County voters, by replacing countywide districts with single member districts
- No-cost restoration of voting rights for eligible, formerly incarcerated individuals
- Fair and equitable redistricting based on new census, not gerrymandering
- Distribution of polling locations, equipment and drop-off boxes based on voter population
- Easy voter registration
- Expanded access to early voting
- No-excuse vote by mail
- Safe & convenient access to voting regardless of physical ability and language limitations
Our lives and livelihoods require clean water at our beaches and in our rivers, canals, lakes, and homes
- Our livelihoods depend on our tourism-based economy, which employs 1 in every 5 people
- Clean water is a basic human need; our lives depend on it for drinking, household use, and recreation
- Polluters must be held responsible and accountable
- Responsible development and investment must protect our aquifers, lakes, rivers, coastline, and water infrastructure, now and for the future
- Full enforcement of regulations is crucial to maintain responsibly managed water resources
EQUALITY AND JUSTICE
We are all safer when the Justice system is fair and equitable
- Expose and eliminate police violence and aggressive behavior to our communities of color
- End over-policing of minority communities
- End inappropriate arrests and excessive sentences for the same offenses (sentences are 18% longer for Black people, 12% for Hispanic people)
- Reform the cash bail system
- End the school-to-prison pipeline
- Strengthen, or implement where needed, the authority and process of Citizen Review Boards
- Decriminalize minor offenses
Our community and our economy are stronger when everyone has equal access to affordable, quality healthcare, including mental health services
- Everyone has an equal right to healthcare services; the current system provides abundant opportunities for some, but denies even basic access for too many
- Medical treatment should be equal, regardless of race or gender
- No one should face bankruptcy or death because of lack of health insurance
- Medicaid should be expanded in Florida
- Decisions about access should not be dictated by the insurance industry, lobbyists, campaign donors or personal beliefs
- Access to COVID vaccines and testing should be administered by non-partisan partnership
When everyone has equal access to education, good jobs, living wage, and affordable housing, we all enjoy better economic opportunities
- Access to economic opportunity must be inclusive, regardless of race, gender or economic circumstances
- Economic opportunities depend on free and fair markets, private enterprise, banking and mortgage equality
- Wages for equal work must be equal and independent of sex, race, or sexual orientation
- Government must ensure everyone has safe and fair access to America’s world class services
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Science and Technology are the backbones of a healthy, thriving society.
- Lee County has a longstanding history of science and technology, from Thomas Edison to the Calusa Nature Center & Planetarium.
- Science and the scientific method are essential subject in education, from pre-school to college.
- Scientific and technological research are critical to protect Lee County’s rich environment, economy, and tourism industry – all of which are intertwined.
- Guidelines, recommendations and best practice policies from scientific experts should be supported by elected officials, and utilized to serve the public.
- Technology is an important instrument to create and support transparency and accountability in government.
Democratic Executive Committee (DEC) Officers
Clubs and Caucuses
FL Dem. Party Charter & Bylaws